Camel crickets, also known as cave or humpback crickets, are light to dark brown in color, and can be anywhere from ½ an inch to 1½ inch long making them larger than your typical house cricket.
These crickets enjoy cool damp places which is why you might see them in your basement or crawl space. Should they make their way into your home they most likely won’t cause much damage, but will eat just about anything, which may result in damage to clothing and other household items if in large numbers. Despite their lack of concern for what they eat, they are completely harmless to humans. That being said, the worst part about this pest being in your home is typically their large size which can be very upsetting to many people.
How to prevent them from coming in your home
• Seal cracks, crevices, and any other possible entry points
• Switch to yellow (sodium vapor) lights outside as they will attract fewer crickets
• Make sure you don’t have stacks of wood or highly piled mulch next to the foundation of your home
• Eliminate dense landscaping/vegetation around the perimeter of the home
• Reduce the moisture in your home by fixing any leaks and using dehumidifiers
How Cooper can help
A trained Cooper technician will come out to your home for interior and exterior treatments that will effectively control the cricket population in your home. Camel Crickets are also included with our Home Intensive service while sealing the cracks and crevices around your home is also included.
Call us at 1-800-949-2667 if you have a Camel cricket problem in your home or if you would like to know more about our home services.